* The 2015 summer program is now full. No applications are being accepted.
Thank you for your interest in The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s Summer High School Volunteer Program! The goal of the High School Explorer Program at CHOP is to provide high school students the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience and educational opportunities within a medical setting, while giving back to others and growing personally and professionally. Students can donate their time and skills in a number of ways, including:
- Engaging patients and/or siblings in craft or play activities in hospital playrooms or waiting rooms
- Supporting patients and/or siblings in attending special events or performances
- Assisting staff with accepting, sorting and/or distributing donations
The high school program is also designed to offer our Explorers the opportunity to grow both professionally and personally.
Our selection process
Due to the limited number of summer volunteer teen positions available, not all applicants will receive an interview. A select group of applicants will have a personal interview with a member of the Volunteer Services staff. The selection of teen applicants will be based on factors such as:
- Fully completed application
- Willingness and ability to make the requested volunteer commitment
- Previous community service experience
- Personal maturity level
- Educational background and career interests
Explorer Summer Program
Because we are a healthcare organization, there are some requirements you must fulfill before you can volunteer at CHOP. For the safety of our patients, their families, and for you, we ask all potential volunteers to be able to commit to the following:
Applicants must be enrolled in high school at the time of application and be at least 16 years of age.
- Completed medical clearance: Immunization record, Tdap vaccination proof, and PPD
- One reference letter from a teacher, counselor, employment supervisor or mentor
- 200-word essay outlining why you want to volunteer at CHOP
- School transcript reflecting grades and attendance
- Available to volunteer Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Volunteers must be available for the entire six weeks. Volunteers with vacations during time of program will not be accepted.
- Available for morning or afternoon shift for a period of six hours.
- Must be available to attend Mandatory Orientation.
- Must be available to attend Closing Ceremony.