Presentations, Publications and Events
May 9-10, 2013
HHI leaders will be attending the National Health Care for the Homeless Council Northeast Regional Training on May 9-10, 2013, at the Hyatt Morristown, Morristown, NJ. Learn more or register for the event.
May 10, 2013
The 37th Annual Philadelphia Regional Conference on Developmental Disabilities, "Celebrating the Past: Creating the Future," will be held Friday, May 10, 2013, on the 16th Floor of 3535 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA.
This conference provides a forum to highlight practices in the field of developmental disabilities, as well as techniques and models of service for individuals with developmental disabilities from birth to senior citizens and their families.
HHI staff members Karen Hudson, MSW, LSW, and Katherine Streit, MSW Intern and LEND Fellow, will present "Parenting a Child with Special Healthcare Needs in a Shelter Setting: A View from Multiple Perspectives."
Families experiencing homelessness face multiple obstacles accessing preventative healthcare, including medical, dental, and mental health services. This presentation will share how Philadelphia city officials, family homeless shelter providers, and families are addressing the needs of children with special healthcare needs in shelters.
The session will be held 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
Register for the event
Download the event brochure
- HHI resident leader Tiffany Lin, MD, presented a poster of the HHI study of primary care provider follow-up after CHOP Night visits at HHI shelters. The goal was to understand the ways in which case management, the shelter team and HHI can better support adequate follow-up for the medical recommendations provided to families. This poster was presented during the LEND Research Day at CHOP, May 2012.
- Poster “Homeless Health Initiative: A Picture of Interdisciplinary Collaboration” presented at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia, May 2012.
Presentations and trainings
- HHI leaders presented Operation CHOICES: Evaluation of Obesity Prevention Programming for Families in Emergency Housing at the 2013 National Health Care for the Homeless Conference & Policy Symposium, held March 14-16, 2013, in Washington, DC,
- Operation CHOICES presented at the Institute for Children, Poverty and Homelessness national conference, New York City, January 2012, and at the National Health Care for the Homeless Conference in Kansas City, MO, May 2012.
- The Family Care Curriculum Model and the HHI Evaluation and Findings were presented at Horizons for Homeless Children, 7th Young Children Without Homes National Conference, in Boston, MA; May 2012.
- HHI presented Operation CHOICES at a regional training of the National Healthcare for the Homeless (NHCH) in Seattle, WA, July 2012.
- The Family Care Curriculum train-the-trainer parenting model (with focus on its promising research results) was presented at the 5th National Research Conference on Child & Family Programs & Policy in Bridgewater, MA, July 2012; and at the Association for Treatment and Training in the Attachment of Children Conference in Baltimore, MD, September 2012.
- The HHI Evaluation and Findings titled “Understanding Pediatric Healthcare Needs While in Shelter: Mothers’ Perspectives” was presented at the 18th Qualitative Health Research Conference (QHR) Conference, in Montreal, Quebec, October 2012.
- A field report, “The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Homeless Health Initiative: Operation CHOICES Obesity Prevention Programming for Families Experiencing Homelessness” was submitted for publication to the Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved.
- A case report, “Operation CHOICES: Nutrition and Fitness Programming to Combat Obesity and Food Insecurity for Families in Shelters,” was published by the National Health Care for the Homeless Council in June 2012 and can be viewed online.
Annual Reports and Newsletters from HHI
Reviewed by: Karen Hudson, MSW, LSW
Date: May 2013