College Student Volunteer Opportunities
Not accepting applications for this program at this time.
College student volunteers work at the Main Welcome Desk, Wood Welcome Desks, and Emergency Department, where they give a warm welcome to all patient families, evaluate limited visitation needs and guests with directions to get to where they're going. Please review volunteer screening requirements before applying.
- Bedside Buddy Program
- This volunteer assignment is a great opportunity for volunteers to receive exposure to a medical environment through a variety of responsibilities. Volunteers in the role work in teams to support patients and families with one-on-one bedside play, outpatient area group play, and greeting patients, families and guests in key areas of the hospital. During Limited Visitation season at CHOP (December-March), volunteers also play a vital role in the education of visitor restrictions to families and visitors. Applications for this role will be available on
- Summer Session:
- Application will open on March 24, 2014
- Volunteers must be available June through September
- Fall Session:
- Application will open on June 9, 2014
- Volunteers must be available September through December
- Guest Services Volunteer
- Volunteers in this role work hands on with the Bed Management Department to provide information and education to newly admitted families and patients on resources available at CHOP and within the surrounding communities. This role works closely with other volunteers and hospital staff to provide needed supportive services to inpatients and their families. This role provides comfort by providing Wawa Cart services while rounding in the inpatient units.
- Fall Session:
- Applications for this role will be available June 9, 2014
College student volunteers will work one of these three daily shifts.
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- College student with an interest in healthcare.
- Must be available during required shifts per limited visitation season needs.
- Able to understand and follow limited visitation procedures.
- Outgoing, pleasant attitude, and gets along well with children of all ages.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity around confidentiality and child development issues.
- Dependable, responsible, motivated, and able to follow directions from staff and work well with little supervision.
- Maintain patient confidentiality and follow Hospital policies.
- Flexible and respectful in working with diverse patients, families and staff.
- Committed to volunteer during scheduled time and rotation.
- Willingness to accept the limit of a volunteer’s role.
- Must be enrolled in a college or university.
- Service Excellence
- EPIC Training-Electronic Medical Record View Only
- Limited Visitation Procedures
- Family Services Education
- Child Life Education
- EZ Lobby Training
- Infection Control Training
- Ability to move easily throughout the Hospital.
- Able to walk and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Assignment involves sitting, standing, kneeling, and walking.
- Must possess agility in order to interact with children at eye level.
- Some light lifting may be required.