High School Explorer Program
Thank you for your interest in exploring the Summer Teen volunteer program at CHOP. It is our goal to provide high school students the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience and educational opportunities within a medical setting, while giving back to others. Students can donate their time and skills in a number of ways:
- Engaging patients and/or siblings in craft or play activities in hospital playrooms or waiting rooms
- Support patients and/or siblings in attending special events or performances
- Assisting staff with accepting, sorting and/or distributing donations
Download and complete the High School Explorer Program application.
Applicants must bring the completed application to the Atrium at CHOP's Main Building (3401 Civic Center Blvd., Philadelphia, PA) at the specific dates and times listed below. Do not mail in applications. The last day to drop off an application is Monday, May 12.
- Saturday, April 26; 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Monday, May 5; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Monday, May 12; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Our selection process
Due to the limited number of summer volunteer teen positions available, not all applicants will receive an interview. A select group of applicants will have a personal interview with a member of the Volunteer Services staff. The selection of teen applicants will be based on factors such as:
- Fully completed application
- Willingness and ability to make the requested volunteer commitment
- Previous community service experience
- Personal maturity level
- Educational background and career interests
Explorer Summer Program
Because we are a healthcare organization, there are some requirements you must fulfill before you can volunteer at CHOP. For the safety of our patients, their families, and for you, we ask all potential volunteers to be able to commit to the following:
Applicants must be enrolled in high school at the time of application and be at least 16 years of age by July 8, 2014.
- Completed medical clearance: Immunization record, Tdap vaccination proof, and PPD.
- One reference letter from a teacher, counselor, employment supervisor or mentor
- 200-word essay outlining why you want to volunteer at CHOP
- School transcript reflecting grades and attendance
- Available July 8 through August 14, 2014
- Volunteers must be available for the entire six weeks. Volunteers with vacations during time of program will not be accepted.
- Available to volunteer Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Available for morning or afternoon shift for a period of six hours
- Mandatory orientation is Tuesday July 8, 8 – 4:30 p.m.