Adolescent Bariatric Program
Bariatric surgery is available through the Healthy Weight Clinic to help adolescents lose weight. It is considered a major surgery and requires pre- and post-operative care to ensure the patient successfully follows a plan to lose weight and keep it off. This plan involves addressing the medical, psychosocial and emotional needs of the teen or young adult.
Bariatric surgery may be appropriate for certain teens and young adults who have tried other nutritional and physical activity programs to lose weight, but have been unsuccessful.
About our program
The Adolescent Bariatric Program is a unique collaboration of staff from the Healthy Weight Program at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Penn Medicine. The team includes a physician, surgeons, nurse practitioners, dietitian, physical activity specialist, social worker and psychologist.
Adolescents who are interested in bariatric surgery will be evaluated by the team to make sure this treatment is appropriate and a good fit for the patient and family. Surgery takes place at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Pre- and post-operative care takes place at the Healthy Weight Clinic.
Eligibility for bariatric surgery
- Age 16 to 21 at the time of surgery
- Body mass index (BMI) greater than 50 or BMI greater than 40 with medical complications related to obesity, including high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, or liver disease
- A documented history of weight management and weight loss attempts with supervised diets and exercise programs
- No indication of active drug addiction, alcoholism, or untreated major psychiatric disorder
- The candidate must be done growing
Learn more about bariatric surgery
If you are interested in learning more about the Adolescent Bariatric Program, please call to register for an information session. Registration for an information session is required.
Information sessions are generally held the fourth Tuesday of every month at 5:30 p.m. at the Healthy Weight Clinic, 3550 Market Street.
If you have questions about insurance coverage, review the Billing and Insurance section of our site.