Family Wellness Services

Parents and children who are hard of hearing or deaf face the day-to-day stresses that come with hearing loss and may need to practice skills to make life easier. At the Center for Childhood Communication, we believe that the most important ingredient for a child’s healthy development and success is the child’s family.

We practice family-centered care, educating and empowering you to make informed decisions about the emotional, social and behavioral well-being of your child and entire family.

Ask your child’s managing audiologist to make a referral for your child. For children with cochlear implants, contact Rebecca Witmer. For children with hearing loss who do not use cochlear implants, contact Louise Montoya.

Our services

Our Family Wellness Services include individual and family counseling, consultations and referrals to mental health professionals, advocacy, information and resources, and introductions to peers or adults with similar hearing loss.


  • Confidential consultation and support around your child’s social, emotional and behavioral development, interaction with others at home, school and in the community.
  • Consultation and training for families, educators, behavioral health and other human service professionals around effective assessment and intervention with children and families with deaf or hard of hearing members.

Information and resources

  • Information on strategies to help children develop their emotional, behavioral and social competence skills.
  • Accommodations that allow children to participate in activities in their home, school and community just like any other child their age.
  • Access to state and local community services, support and resources.

Referrals and introductions

  • Mental health providers who work with families with hard-of-hearing or deaf members
  • Families who have a child with hearing loss similar to your child's
  • Hard-of-hearing or deaf adults who may be supportive to you and your child
  • Professional parent and legal advocates in your state