It's easier than ever to get health information. But sometimes, it’s difficult to weed out the "good" information, which is scientifically accurate, from the "bad" information, which is not based on science. This is especially true for vaccines.
In a continued effort to provide the public with information about the science, safety and importance of vaccines, the Vaccine Education Center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (VEC) created an app called Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know so busy parents can access the information wherever and whenever they need it.
Attention Android users! If you downloaded the Android version of the VEC mobile app prior to May 7, 2015, please delete it and re-download a new version using the link above in order to keep receiving updates. A technical issue required resubmission of the app to the Google Play Store. The VEC apologizes for the inconvenience.
Watch a short video of Dr. Offit describing the features of the vaccine mobile app.
Vaccine app features
Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know contains information about:
- Vaccines and the diseases they prevent
- Vaccine safety concerns, including autism, thimerosal and too many vaccines
- Types of vaccines and how they’re made
- Recommended immunization schedules for children, teens and adults
Additional features include:
- Graphics depicting disease characteristics, such as levels of contagiousness and typical disease timelines
- Links to videos about vaccines
- Vaccine-related games, like Hangman and matching
- Opportunities to record questions for the next doctor’s visit or email the Vaccine Education Center for answers to vaccine questions
- Links to other online VEC resources, like booklets and Q&A sheets
App wins “Award of Distinction"
“Vaccines on the Go” mobile App was selected among 6,000 entries as an “Award of Distinction” winner in the annual Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts’ Communicator Awards.
Providers: Get free posters for offices and clinics
If you would like to share information about this app with your patients and their families, you can order free posters from the VEC.