The following are steps you should take to use a metered dose inhaler (MDI) with a spacer:
- Remove the caps from both your inhaler (MDI) and spacer. Look inside the spacer to check that it is empty.
- Shake the MDI four to five times.
- Place the mouthpiece of the MDI into the soft rubber ring at the open end of the spacer and make sure the MDI is pointing upwards.
- Place the spacer mouthpiece between your child's lips.
- Press down on the MDI canister to release the medicine into the spacer. Then have your child breathe in slowly and deeply. If you hear a whistle, your child is breathing in too fast. Have your child hold his breath while you count to ten slowly.
- Take the mouthpiece out of your child's mouth and have her breathe out slowly.
- Wait one to three minutes before repeating steps 2 through 6 for the second puff.
Reviewed by: Paulette Taylor, RN, CPN, AE-C
Date: February 2009