Active Moms, Active Kids
Many kids follow in their parents’ footsteps as they grow up. But as a new study shows when it comes to staying active, little ones follow their mother's lead.
Like father, like son. Like mother, like daughter. Many kids follow in their parents’ footsteps as they grow up. But as a new study published in the journal Pediatrics shows, when it comes to staying active, little ones follow their mother's lead.
The study, "Activity Levels in Mothers and their Preschool Children," examined the behaviors of more than 500 moms and their 4-year-olds. The study demonstrated that the activity levels of mothers and their children are directly related, and that more-active moms have more-active kids.
Now that the weather is warm and the sunny days are calling, it’s the perfect time to take your little one outside and get moving. Modeling active behavior can only have a positive result! Here are some tried-and-true summer activities you can enjoy together:
- Take your child to the playground. Play a game of tag, have a slide race with her, or pretend the jungle gym is a pirate ship or a UFO.
- Get some wheels – bikes, scooters or roller skates. Don't forget the helmets and safety gear!
- Visit the community pool for a swim.
- Set up some sprinklers in the backyard.
- Buy some bubbles and go for a bubble chase.
- Get some sidewalk chalk and play hopscotch or four square.
- Take a nature walk or a walk through the city.
- Play a game of catch or Frisbee.