CHOP’s New Mobile App Assists Parents with Vaccine Decisions
January 7, 2014 — The Vaccine Education Center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia’s (VEC) mobile app, Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know, is now available for Android in addition to Apple platforms. Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know is a unique mobile app that allows busy parents to access up-to-date, reliable information about the science and safety of vaccines — wherever and whenever they need it.
Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know includes comprehensive information about:
- Vaccines and the diseases they prevent
- Vaccine safety topics, including autism, thimerosal, vaccine schedules, and too many vaccines
- Recommended immunization schedules for children, teens and adults
- Types of vaccines and how they’re made
Additional features include:
- Graphics depicting disease characteristics, such as levels of contagiousness and typical disease timelines
- Links to videos about vaccines
- Vaccine-related games, like hangman and matching
- A place to save questions for the next doctor’s visit
- The opportunity to easily email the VEC for answers to vaccine-related questions
- Links to other VEC resources, like booklets and Q&A sheets
The new app places the extensive resources from the VEC website at parents’ fingertips in an easy-to-navigate mobile platform that parents can access at the doctor’s office, grocery store, or pharmacy, allowing parents to find immediate answers to questions wherever they arise and to help them make informed decisions regarding their child’s immunizations.