Published on in Vaccine Update for Healthcare Professionals
New VEC resources
The Vaccine Education Center (VEC) is pleased to announce the availability of the following new resources:
- Talking about Vaccines with Dr. Offit: HPV — In honor of Cervical Health Awareness Month we have released a new group of videos with Dr. Offit answering common HPV-related questions. These are questions that have been submitted to our HPV Web page, www.prevent-hpv.org. The videos will be available on DVD in the coming weeks; however, they are all viewable online. Questions addressed include:
- What are the health issues related to HPV and how long does HPV infection last?
- How can I protect myself from HPV transmission, particularly if my partner is infected?
- What do my Pap test results mean and how can my partner and I know if we are infected with HPV?
- If my partner has genital warts, but my Pap test is normal, does that mean I have not been infected with HPV?
- Do all types of HPV cause cancer?
- Are there different HPV vaccines?
- Do I need to restart the HPV vaccine if I missed a dose?
- If I already had the HPV vaccine, do I need the HPV-9 vaccine?
- Why do boys have to get the HPV vaccine?
- Why is the HPV vaccine recommended for adolescents?
- Can I still get the HPV vaccine if I am older?
- Infectious Diseases and Pregnancy — This new addition to the “Special Topics” series addresses common vaccine-related questions before, during and after pregnancy. The sheets in the “Special Topics” series are about subjects that may be of interest to people who are immune-compromised, including those with cancer, as well as those who are pregnant, or have questions about travel. And, although the sheets in this series are not typically available in print, they can be photocopied for distribution as needed. Check out other sheets in this series on the Special Topics page in the Resources section of our website.
- Rash poster now available in Spanish — The online information about rashes as well as the rash poster continue to be popular offerings. If you have not reviewed the online information, it contains more information and a greater number of rash-related conditions than the poster. Spanish posters are available for order at pricing similar to the English version (set of two for $1 plus shipping or set of 10 for $4 plus shipping; pricing is for same language quantities only). Orders can be placed online or by using this form.
- Coloring book now available in Spanish — The coloring book, My Vaccine Activity Book, is now available in Spanish. The coloring book introduces vaccine science and history as well as some of the scientists who invented them. It also includes puzzles, a page for children to color vaccine vials, which shows the vaccines they received, and a certificate for keeping their community healthy by vaccination. Coloring books can be ordered online or using this form for $0.75 each plus shipping for orders of 100 or more or $1 each plus shipping for orders of less than 100. Costs are per language; discounted pricing does not apply for quantities in multiple languages.
Parents PACK update
The VEC is pleased to announce the release of a new Parents PACK tear pad to share with parents and patients who may be interested in our program for the public, known as Parents PACK. This program, part of the VEC’s offerings since 2005, is meant to support the public by directly providing vaccine information in a variety of ways. The program includes the following components:
- Free monthly e-newsletter
- Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know — free mobile app for iPhones, iPads and Android devices
- Talking about Vaccines with Dr. Paul Offit video series
- Vaccine Trivia Game
Providers can also use these materials as tools in their own practices. We will be sending information over the next few weeks that outlines ways in which you can use the materials in your practice as well as an order form to get free copies of the Parents PACK tear pads. If you do not receive our mailings and would like to, please email email@example.com and provide your complete and accurate mailing address.
Free materials offerings
Because three different items are now available free of charge, we have made a special “free materials” order form. The items that can be ordered using this form include the new Parents PACK tear pads (English only), mobile app posters (English only) and prescription for information pads (English and Spanish).
You can order these materials using this form or online by clicking the link to the electronic form on the online ordering page of our website. Please order only quantities that you can realistically use and provide complete and accurate mailing addresses. You can reorder as needed.
New Medscape videos
Dr. Offit recently provided a couple of new videos for Medscape:
- In A Child’s Right to be Vaccinated Dr. Offit discusses the new California exemption laws and whether protesters of the legislation correctly focused on their rights as parents or whether the real focus on rights should have been those of the children. Posted January 11, 2016.
- In New Adjuvanted Flu Vaccine: No Concerns about Narcolepsy Dr. Offit discusses the new influenza vaccine, anticipated for licensure in the U.S., called Fluad®. This vaccine is different from others because it contains the adjuvant squalene. The video discusses this adjuvant and experiences with it in other countries, including the Pandemrix®-narcolepsy issue and why we won’t need to worry about that with Fluad. Posted December 11, 2015.