ED Pathway for Evaluation/Treatment of the Child with a Burn Injury
Job Aid: Burn Assessment: Form TR-006
- The Lund & Browder Chart assessment tool is used to estimate percentage of
burns of the total body surface area
- This chart is used only for partial thickness (2nd degree) and full thickness (3rd degree) burns
- The chart must be completed by the registered nurse AND the physician together.
This will ensure accuracy of assessment.
- All body parts marked with an * represent only the anterior or posterior body part: the number is
doubled if both anterior and posterior are burned
- one year old partial thickness anterior head (face only), = 9.5%
- one year old full thickness anterior/posterior neck, one year old = 2%
- The total percentage of body surface burned is documented on the top of the form
- The nurse and physician should sign and date the bottom of the form