ED Pathway for Evaluation/Treatment of Children with Sickle Cell Disease
Sickle Cell Disease with Fever Discharge Checklist
- Make sure patient has met all low risk criteria and the ED attending agrees with the plan for discharge.
- Review the patient’s documented discharge vital signs and assure they are acceptable for discharge.
- Discuss with the hematology fellow AND attending on call the plan for discharge.
- Complete the EPIC discharge instructions for fever and sickle cell disease.
- Be sure to complete the ED Sickle Cell Hematology Fever Follow up Box and include two reliable phone numbers that the parent or guardian may be easily contacted.
- Inform parent/care giver that hematology will be contacting them within 24 hours. However, if they become concerned about their child they should return to the ED immediately.