ED Pathway for Evaluation/Treatment of Children with Sexual Abuse Concerns
Patients or parents must consent for the forensic exam and evidence collection.
Ability to accept or refuse medical interventions based on:
- Individual’s understanding of the risks, benefits and alternatives
of a proposed intervention
- Ability to make voluntary choices
- Ethical and legal patient right
Minor’s Consent Act
- Allows any minor to consent to testing / treatment for sexual and
mental health complaints.
- Adolescent patients have the right to consent to or refuse evaluation
and evidence collection.
- Patients may consent to or refuse any or all of the examination and
evidence collection process
- There is no clear lower age cut-off for consent.
- The patient must be deemed “competent” by the medical
- Case-by-case basis decision, special attention for patients < 14
- Document if the patient refuses evidence collection and/or submission
to the police.