ED Pathway for Evaluation/Treatment of Children with Sexual Abuse Concerns
Social Work Triage
SART Team Evaluation
- Sexual assault that occurred:
the last 72 hours in a postpubertal patient or
the last 24 hours in a prepubertal patient
- Presence of genital complaints / symptoms
- Referred by Police and/or C&Y for evidence collection
ED Team Evaluation
Concern for patient safety:
- Intoxicated /altered caretaker
- Unstable home environment
- Chronic history of abuse that has not been addressed by history
- Triage history is unclear regarding the last alleged contact.
- Patients/ family behavior not conducive to a CARE Clinic referral
- Patients who refuse to leave without an evaluation
- Disruptive behaviors that cannot be redirected
Referring patients ineligible for evaluation in CHOP ED
Patients ≥ 16 years of age who require medical evaluation will be evaluated at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia after they are screened by the CHOP triage nurse, social worker and attending physician.
Asymptomatic patients ≥ 16 years of age who present to CHOP ED following an acute sexual assault and require evidence collection will be referred to The Special Victims Unit.
- The CHOP social worker will call and inform The Special Victims Unit of all patients referred to The Special Victims Unit at phone number 215-685-3251 or 215-685-3252.
- If the patient is accompanied by an adult, the patient will be offered a cab voucher with the pre-scripted address to The Special Victims Unit.
- If the patient is accompanied by a responsible adult and the patient denies the need for a cab voucher, the patient will be provided with the address and phone number of The Special Victims Unit.
- If the patient is alone and/or not accompanied by a responsible adult, the social worker will contact the Philadelphia Police to escort the patient to The Special Victims Unit.
Directions to The Special Victims Unit from CHOP Main Hospital
The Special Victims Unit
300 E. Hunting Park Ave
Philadelphia, PA, 19125
Google Maps directons to The Special Victims Unit
Special Victims Unit Telephone Number:
Non-acute assault in patients < 16 years of age
CONSIDER NEED FOR FILING POLICE/CY 47 REPORTS BASED ON HISTORY, EVEN IF
PATIENT IS BEING REFERRED AWAY.
Summary of Guidelines for Triage:
|Acute episode and/or symptoms
|Acute psychosocial needs or more in depth evaluation
|Chronic abuse, > 72 hours, no symptoms
The SART TEAM can be called in at anytime during the patient's evaluation.