- Calorie and protein requirements:
- 120-130 calories/kg (Individual patients may require more for adequate growth)
- 1.8-2 gm protein/kg
- 130-150 ml fluids/kg
- Expected weight gain:
- <3 months- 25-35 grams per day
- 3-6 months- 15-21 grams per day
- Advancement of feeds:
- Increase feeds by about 5 ml per feed as tolerated for optimal weight gain and growth. Most babies do well with volume increases every 2-3 weeks. If the baby takes 7-8 feeds per day, this advancement will give a total increase of just over an ounce per day. This is the same for all formulas, 20-27 cal/oz. If unable to increase volume, then may need to increase concentration, such as an increase from 20 cal/oz to 22 cal/oz, or 22 cal/oz to 24 cal/oz, or 24 cal/oz to 27 cal/oz.
- Feed the patient for no more than 20-30 minutes to avoid tiring out from feeds.
For questions contact:
Beth Wright, MS, RD, CSP, LDN
Outpatient Cardiology Dietitian
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia