About the Cardiac Center
The Cardiac Center at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is one of the world’s leading pediatric heart centers providing care to infants, children and young adults with congenital and acquired heart conditions. The Center also offers expert diagnosis and management of fetal heart defects prior to a baby's birth through our Fetal Heart Program.
Our team, one of the largest and most accomplished in the world, includes more than 50 pediatric cardiac intensivists, cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, cardiac anesthesiologists, and more than 350 staff specially trained in congenital heart diseases, including nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers, psychologists and child life specialists. Expert consultation from other specialties within the Hospital can be provided within minutes if needed.
Our pediatric cardiologists and surgeons are pioneers in the treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects, and international leaders in research, diagnosis, patient care and education.
Patient outcomes at the Cardiac Center are among the best in the nation, placing us in the top tier of pediatric cardiac programs in the world. In addition, we are consistently ranked among the best by U.S.News & World Report.
The Cardiac Center performs:
The Cardiac Center offers:
- A comprehensive range of specialized services, including early diagnosis and monitoring during pregnancy through the Fetal Heart Program, and customized delivery plans through the Garbose Family Special Delivery Unit, the world’s first birth facility specifically designed for mothers carrying babies with known birth defects, such as congenital heart disease.
- A Cardiac Operative and Imaging Complex, one of the most advanced in the world, includes an XMR Suite (catheterization lab/MRI), Hybrid Suite (catheterization lab/operating room), an additional catheterization lab, and two additional cardiac operating rooms – all on the same floor as our inpatient units.
- Two inpatient units, the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) for critical care, and the Cardiac Care Unit (CCU), for intermediate care. The CICU is one of the largest in the world dedicated for the treatment of children with congenital heart disease. CHOP’s state-of-the-art CICU is designed and staffed to care for infants and children during the most intense period of their treatment.
- A specially designed and staffed 13-bed Cardiac Preparation and Recovery Unit (CPRU) provides highly specialized pre- and post-catheterization and procedure recovery care for infants, children and adults with CHD. The CPRU includes a reception room with full amenities where families may wait and receive support during their child's catheterization, surgery or other procedure.
- Support, such as financial counseling, social work, lactation services, spiritual resources and music or art therapy, for patients and families.
- Extended care into adulthood, through the Philadelphia Adult Congenital Heart Center, a program that combines the expertise of the Cardiac Center at CHOP and the University of Pennsylvania Health system.
You may reach us at 267-426-9600 or email@example.com.
For a second opinion, cardiac referral, or for more information.
To schedule an outpatient appointment.
Best in the Nation
CHOP’s Cardiac Center was ranked No. 1 by Parents magazine and top ranked by U.S.News & World Report for 2013-14. Learn more »