Child Life, Education and Creative Arts Therapy

Dual Internship in Child Life and Therapeutic Recreation

The Child Life, Education and Creative Arts Therapy department offers a dual internship experience in both Child Life and Therapeutic Recreation.

Interns in the dual program must complete a minimum of 18 weeks to ensure adequate training time in each discipline. Interns rotate through two different areas of the hospital during their experience. A variety of both inpatient and outpatient areas will be offered each semester for students to rotate through.

Dual internships are offered once a year, during the spring (January – May).

Internship requirements

To apply for a dual Child Life/Therapeutic Recreation internship, please download the dual internship application.

Download the dual internship application.

Download the dual internship application.

Frequently asked questions

Are start/end dates flexible?

The start/end dates are established with limited flexibility. For Spring 2015, the session dates are Jan. 5, 2015, through May 8, 2015. Please contact the Student Programs Coordinator with any questions regarding the start and end dates.

How many students do you accept at a time?

The number of students accepted will vary from semester to semester due to the number of applicants and supervisor availability. Generally we accept one to two dual child life/therapeutic recreation interns.

Do I get to pick where I'm placed?

Interns have the ability to give feedback about which areas in the Hospital are most interesting to them. Final placement decisions are made at the discretion of the student program coordinators.

What are the prerequisites for applying for an internship?

Potential interns must have completed a minimum of 100 hours volunteer or paid work experience working with children and a minimum of 100 hours experience in an established Therapeutic Recreation or Child Life program working under the direct supervision of a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or Certified Child Life Specialist in a pediatric healthcare or related setting. The educational prerequisites include at least in your senior year of undergraduate work majoring in Therapeutic Recreation and achievement of course requirements set forth by both the Child Life Council and the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification. Please refer to the dual internship packet checklist for a complete listing of prerequisites.

I have experiences working with children in other settings. Do they count towards my 100 hours?

While all these experiences with children are extremely valuable in the selection process and your career overall, the 100 hours in a pediatric healthcare setting are a requirement. Additional hours in other settings should be included on your application.

If I complete a child life/therapeutic recreation internship, will I have met the requirements to be certified in both child life and therapeutic recreation?

Upon completion of a dual internship, the intern will meet the eligibility requirements of an internship experience for both National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) and Child Life Council (CLC).

Do I need to get my bachelor’s degree in therapeutic recreation to do a dual internship in child life and therapeutic recreation?

Yes, a degree in therapeutic recreation is required to be eligible for the dual program.

How do I know if I have the correct coursework to do an internship in child life and therapeutic recreation?

The Child Life Council is the governing organization for the child life profession. Information on coursework can be found on their website, CLC can also review your transcript for you. Applicants must complete the Child Life Council course review and have a minimum of 10 approved courses completed prior to applying to the internship program. Applicants must also be enrolled in or successfully completed a course taught by a CCLS.

The National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification is the governing organization for the therapeutic recreation profession. Information on coursework can be found on its website,

Do you accept interns that are not currently enrolled in/affiliated with a college or university?

No. Dual intern applicants must currently be enrolled in a therapeutic recreation program with a college or university.

Is the internship full-time?

Yes. The dual child life/therapeutic recreation internship is 40 hours per week for 18 weeks.

Is an onsite interview required?

No, because the majority of our applicants are not from the local area, a phone interview is sufficient, although all applicants are welcome to come for an on-site tour and interview.

Contact us

For more information, please contact the Child Life, Education and Creative Arts Therapy Department at 267-426-1340 or email

  • Print
  • Share

Contact Us