Electrical shocks from appliances and electrical outlets and cords can burn the skin and cause tissue and nerve damage. To avoid electrical shocks, take the following precautions:
- Keep electrical appliances away from sinks and bathtubs.
- Ensure that your electrical appliances are approved by Underwriter's Laboratories (UL), which is indicated on the box or appliance itself.
- Use ground fault circuit interrupters in areas near water, such as the kitchen, bathroom and outside.
- Unplug electrical cords that are not in use. Keep electrical cords out of reach of children.
- Cover unused electrical outlets with safety covers.
- Turn off electrical equipment that is not being used.
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- In homes with small children, make sure your home has tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.