- Directed donor red cell products are collected at the American Red Cross, not at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Each prospective donor must have an orange directed donor tag for each product donated.
- The physician determines the blood product needed, the number needed, the date of need and the number of donors to send, and completes a directed donor tag for each donor, and gives them to the parent or patient. The Blood Bank cannot hand out directed donor tags directly to family members or to donors.
- The parent or patient gives the tags to their selected donors.
- The donor presents the tag at the donor center.
- The Blood Bank has no information about directed donations until a product is actually received at the Blood Bank.
Directed Donation Brochure
Blood Bank Directed Donor Policy