While in the Newborn/Infant Intensive Care Unit (N/IICU) your baby may be assessed by a psychologist who specializes in infant and child development.

What does a psychologist do for babies in the N/IICU?

How can a psychologist help me support my baby?

A child psychologist can help you:

Qualifications of a psychologist

A psychologist has a graduate degree (PhD or PsyD) in clinical psychology that includes specialized training in child development. They have passed a national licensure examination and have many years of experience assessing and treating babies, children and their families.

Some psychologists have additional specialized training in infant mental health, which refers to the infant’s developing ability to form relationships with others, express his emotions, and explore his environment. Psychologists use research-supported techniques with the goal of helping each child maximize his or her potential. They stay current on new learning to provide the best care to children and families.

When to ask for help from a psychologist

The following are reasons you might want to ask the nurse or doctor to have you and your baby seen by a psychologist:

Contact us

As a partner on your child’s healthcare team, please feel free to contact Casey Hoffman-Craven, PhD, psychologist, at  215-590-5022 or email with any additional questions or concerns.

Updated April 2012

  • Print
  • Share

Contact Us