The Nursing Professional Practice Model has governing councils which address specific areas of practice. Each has representation from individual units or practice areas.
There are four councils supporting the work of Registered Nurses.
- The Quality Practice/Patient Safety Council defines and influences all issues, products and activities related to clinical nursing research, practice and quality patient outcomes. This council insures that clinical practice standards are current and maintained throughout the institution.
- The Advancing Practice/Education Council defines and controls all issues related to the development and provision of high quality and individualized education systems that promote the advancement of skills in the clinical area as well as other areas of professional practice at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- The Supporting Practice and Management Council defines, advises and controls all issues related to the management of human resources and operational systems needed to support the work of the Professional Practice Model.
- The Coordinating Council promotes the effective operation of the nursing unit by integrating and aligning the unit’s objectives and endeavors with department’s objectives through effective communication and coordination between unit councils
Five councils support the work of Advanced Practice Nurses.
- The Coordinating Council discusses and coordinates the work of the other four councils to align with hospital-wide initiatives. The primary responsibility is to coordinate all council tasks so that initiatives do not overlap or conflict. Responsibilities include but are not limited to development and maintenance of the APN Professional Practice Model and its bylaws, coordination and prioritization of projects, and the development and continuous improvement of communication structures.
- The Research Council seeks to define issues related to the development and provision of high quality nursing research. The council offers mentoring and networking to promote the advancement of skills in the clinical areas of research as well as other areas of professional development throughout the Hospital's Advanced Practice Nursing enterprise.
- The Quality Practice and Patient Safety Council defines and influences issues related to clinical practice and product selection based on evidence-based best practices and in collaboration with the other APN councils. Issues related to clinical practice and quality patient outcomes will be brought to this council. This council shall insure that clinical practice standards are current and maintained throughout the APB enterprise.
- The Supporting Practice Management Council focuses on the professional maintenance of APNs and job performance and satisfaction. The professional maintenance of the APN includes licensure and national certification, hospital credentialing, and prescriptive authority and malpractice. Job performance and satisfaction includes aspects of job description, performance reviews, billing, scheduling and staffing, salaries and bonus, recruitment and retention, and on-call.
- The Advancing Practice and Education Council seeks to promote excellence in nursing care of children and their families through support of APNs clinical practice, education, research and advocacy. The council strives to identify and provide diverse educational opportunities that meet the current and future learning needs of APNs from novice to expert.