The Pediatric Surgical Training Program at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia began in 1946. Over the years, an active pediatric surgical service has evolved with an average inpatient census of 50 to 80 patients. The clinical care team consists of seven full-time attending pediatric surgeons, three accredited pediatric surgery fellows, one or two non-accredited international fellows, two University of Pennsylvania medical students, 16 advanced practice nurses, and four general surgical residents representing the Departments of Surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Hospital, Abington Hospital, and others. This team is responsible for more than 4,000 general surgical operations per year.
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia was founded in 1855 as the nation's first hospital devoted exclusively to the care of children. In 1974, the hospital was relocated to the courtyard building on the University of Pennsylvania campus. The Hospital has recently undergone extensive renovations. This structure, uniquely designed for children, has 440 beds, and an additional 35 neonatal beds are located at the adjacent Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
In 1990, the six-story Wood outpatient building was opened as well as the Children's Seashore House, a 77-bed pediatric rehabilitation facility that directly connects to Children's Hospital. All medical and surgical care at the Children's Seashore House is provided by the Children's Hospital medical staff. There are more than 25,000 inpatient admissions, and more than 1 million outpatient and emergency visits to the Children's Hospital network each year.