Please join us for the first in a new virtual lecture series for professionals, hosted by the Division of Orthopaedics and the Sports Medicine and Performance Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
The first event, “Pediatric Fracture Care: Pearls and Pitfalls,” will highlight normal radiographic findings in the pediatric skeleton, with a special focus on fractures around growth plates – critical for front-line physicians and advanced practice providers to recognize. The lecture addresses five critical injuries that should not be missed in an injured pediatric patient.
Physician speakers will also break down principles of pediatric fracture care and discuss what makes pediatric fracture care different than adult fracture care. We will offer principles to guide the treatment of common pediatric fractures, examine the potential pitfalls of treatment for specific injuries, and discuss modern surgical techniques for physeal bar resection as well as management of post-traumatic growth disturbances.
This virtual event is offered free. Approval of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) for this lecture is pending.
- Recognize five unique, cannot miss pediatric injuries: transphyseal fracture, incarcerated medial epicondyle, posterior SC dislocation, triplane fracture and patellar sleeve fracture
- Understand the goals of treatment including the best possible outcome, with the least possible intervention(s).
- Discuss strategies in the management of post-traumatic growth disturbances.
- 5-5:20 p.m. – “5 Keys to Pediatric Fracture Care,” by Keith D. Baldwin, MD, MPH, MSPT
- 5:20-5:40 p.m. – “Pearls and Pitfalls of Radiographic Diagnosis of Pediatric Injuries,” by Jason B. Anari, MD
- 5:40-6 p.m. – “Management of Growth Arrest in Pediatric Fractures,” by Alexandre Arkader, MD
- 6-6:30 p.m. – Q&A
- Jason B. Anari, MD, Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Alexandre Arkader, MD, Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Keith D. Baldwin, MD, MPH, MSPT, Director of Orthopaedic Trauma and an Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Kathy Abel, DNP, RN, APNC, Family Nurse Practitioner, Division of Orthopaedics
- Emily Stegonshek, MSN, CRNP, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Division of Orthopaedics
Upcoming professional events
Future events in the Pediatric Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Virtual Lecture Series include:
- Returning to sports for elite athletes
- Latest research and treatments for thoracic insufficiency syndrome
- Best practices for brachial plexus birth injuries and upper limb anomalies
- And more!
ACCME Accreditation Statement: Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Approval of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) for this lecture is pending. If approved, physicians can claim CME credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity for free.