Published on in Pediatric Partners
CHOP Urgent Care Opens in Bryn Mawr, PA
Families in and around Montgomery and Delaware Counties now have a new option to access after-hours pediatric urgent care from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) — fast, convenient care for children who need to be seen right away. CHOP Urgent Care, Haverford is located in the same building as CHOP Primary Care, Haverford. Urgent Care will be staffed by a team of board-certified CHOP pediatricians and pediatric nurses dedicated to urgent care services.
New Podcast: Fever in Children
In this recent episode, Paul Offit, MD, defines fever in children and talks about counseling families about the benefits of fevers. He discusses strategies for treating fevers appropriately, with emphasis on why treating fever with antipyretic drugs is often NOT the right thing to do.
More Clinical Services Now in Buerger Center
The following clinical services have made the move to the Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care. The existing space is now fully occupied through the 11th floor:
- Level 9: Nephrology, Urology, General Surgery, and Clinical Genetics, including Metabolism and the Roberts Individualized Medical Genetics Center (IMGC)
- Level 10: Neurology, Neurosurgery, Neurodiagnostics, and select Behavioral Health services (Young Child Clinic, Autism Integrated Care Program, Neuropsychology, Pediatric Health & Behavioral Program, and Parent-Child Interactive Therapy)
- Level 11: Ophthalmology, Plastic Surgery and Orthodontics
Clinical Pathway: Interdisciplinary Migraine Management
A migraine headache can be a frustrating condition for children, and significantly impair quality of life. At CHOP, we care for over 800 children with migraine headache annually in the ED. Most children (83%) are discharged after ED treatment and evaluation using guidance from our Migraine Clinical Pathway. An interdisciplinary group that specializes in headache care meets regularly with a focus on quality and efficiency of care, as well as improving assessment of, and interventions for, patients with chronic pain.
Update: Broad- vs. Narrow-spectrum Antibiotics
CHOP’s Center for Pediatric Clinical Effectiveness participated in a set of new educational videos from the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. The videos highlight findings that narrow-spectrum antibiotics perform as well as broad-spectrum antibiotics when treating children with acute respiratory tract infections. Narrow-spectrum antibiotics also had fewer negative side effects compared to broad-spectrum antibiotics.
Hyperinsulinism and Neonatal Hypoglycemia Conference
Join us Thursday, Sept. 5 – Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, for updates in the diagnosis and management of hyperinsulinism and neonatal hypoglycemia. This two-day international symposium will present exciting advances in the field of hyperinsulinism, including recent genetic breakthroughs and therapeutic innovations.
Sept. 27 Integrative Health Symposium in Philadelphia
In this one-day symposium, attendees will learn about salutogenesis and the relationship between stress, coping and health. Lectures will focus on how to manage provider stress and burnout and how to support a patient’s well-being through nutrition, mind-body techniques, positive psychology, trauma-informed care and other integrative modalities.
CHOP Talks CME Events near You
Join us for a continuing education event in the community for information on the latest clinical advances and how they can benefit your patients. Upcoming talks focus on healthy weight, infectious diseases, and sports medicine. A robust fall calendar is shaping up, with topics including IBD, epilepsy surgery, e-cigarettes, medical marijuana and opioids, autism, sleep disorders, adolescent health, and more.
RSVP to Abe Cooperman at email@example.com or 267-426-2506.
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Adds New Attending Physician
Joseph A. Napoli, MD, DDS, joins us from DuPont. Dr. Napoli will see patients at CHOP’s Specialty Care & Surgery Center, Brandywine Valley, and CHOP’s Specialty Care & Surgery Center, Lancaster.
New Neurologist Expands Access in New Jersey
The Division of Neurology is pleased to welcome Uzma Sharif, MD. Dr. Sharif will see pediatric neurology patients, including those with epilepsy, at CHOP's Specialty Care Center at Virtua.
GI and Nutrition Team Continues to Expand and Enhance Access
CHOP’s Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition is welcoming five new attending physicians. Each new team member will be available to see patients at the locations noted below. To schedule an appointment with one of our pediatric gastroenterologists, please call 215-590-3630.
- Jessica Breton, MD, will see pediatric GI patients including those with IBD, at CHOP’s University City location.
- Jefferson N. Brownell, MD, will see pediatric GI patients including those with pancreatic diseases and lymphatic disorders, at CHOP’s University City location.
- Prasanna Kapavarpu, MD, will see pediatric GI patients including those with GI motility disorders, at CHOP’s University City location. Later in 2019, Dr. Kapavarpu will expand his practice into New Jersey.
- Art Kastl, MD, will see pediatric GI patients including those with IBD and fecal microbiota transplantation, at CHOP’s University City locations and at the CHOP Specialty Care & Surgery Center, Brandywine Valley.
- Trusha Patel, MD, will see pediatric GI patients including those with IBD, at CHOP’s University City location.
Cardiac Center Adds New Physicians
The Cardiology team welcomes:
- Danielle S. Burstein, MD, will treat inpatients and outpatients in the Cardiovascular Exercise Physiology Lab.
- Chandni Patel, MD, MBA, will join the team at CHOP's Specialty Care Center in St. Peter's Hospital, NJ.
- Jill J. Savla, MD, MSCE, will join our Fetal Heart Program.
- Amanda J. Shillingford, MD, will join the team as Medical Director of Fetal Outreach for the Fetal Heart Program.
- Christopher L. Smith, MD, PhD, will treat patients in our Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory and the Jill and Mark Fishman Center for Lymphatic Disorders.
Cardiac Critical Care Medicine welcomes:
Honored to be among the Best
CHOP is once again ranked among the best pediatric hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. We are ranked #2 in the United States, and 10 of our specialties ranked in the top seven nationwide. We are proud to partner with you to provide the best possible care for children across the US and around the world.
Call Our Clinician Priority Phone Line
Have you tried our new Clinician Priority Phone Line yet? Call 1-800-TRY-CHOP (1-800-879-2467) and press 2 to be connected to the on-call physician or nurse practitioner in the CHOP program you specify. Patient families can also use this line and press 1 for assistance. Find other easy ways to get in touch.
Referring Patients in Link2CHOP Physician Portal
Link2CHOP is a real-time, web-based portal that gives you easy access to your patients’ CHOP medical records and makes the referral process smooth and streamlined. Log in to expedite appointments and see materials scanned to the chart. If you’re not already using the system, make sure you sign up and get started!
We want to hear from you! We encourage feedback from our partners. Please contact us at PhysicianReferralSer@email.chop.edu with questions, suggestions or concerns. If you change your address, add new physicians or have any new information you want to share with us, be sure to update your information.