In 2013 the World Health Organization (WHO) gained its 1 millionth Twitter follower, speaking to the number of people who rely on the organization for valuable public health information and news. In January 2014, the WHO released a video highlighting its accomplishments in the past year and its plans for future projects.
The following facts and events, specifically aimed at improving and addressing children’s health and healthcare, were featured in the video:
- New plans to address prevention of pneumonia and diarrhea outbreaks
- More than 400 million children received polio vaccinations during 2013
- Several European ministers signed a WHO declaration to promote at least one hour of physical activity per day for children
- WHO called for bans on tobacco advertising to protect children
- WHO and several partners launched a premier plan to end childhood tuberculosis deaths
To find out more about the WHO’s recent accomplishments and future goals visit its website or follow them on Twitter.