Your child’s safety is very important to us. Did you know that a fall can occur anytime, anywhere? Did you know falls frequently occur while the parents/caregivers are present? In order to prevent falls while visiting the hospital, we ask that you pay attention to the following items below to keep your child safe:
If your child is 13 years of age or older
- Your child should wear proper clothing and footwear.
- Wear skid proof socks.
- Avoid clothing that could get caught on objects or drag on the floor.
- Be aware your child may be unsteady on his feet due to:
- Following surgery
- If your child is unsteady on his feet, offer assistance with walking. Keep in mind that adolescents like their privacy and independence so they may resist the help at first.
- Day beds are for parents/caregivers/family members use only.
- Be aware patient’s room environment is different from home:
- Taller furniture
- Harder floors
- Movable equipment
- Ensure that all tubing, drains, probes and wires are not dragging on the floor.
- Your child should avoid using his mobile phone when walking.
- Keep your child’s room from becoming overcrowded with personal items.
We want to make sure your child is in the safest environment possible and we look forward to partnering with you during this hospital stay.
Download this information in PDF.
Revised: March 2018