Keeping Your Child Safe: Preventing Falls in Children between 3 and 7 Years Old
Your child’s safety is very important to us. Did you know that a fall can occur anytime, anywhere? Did you know falls frequently occur while the parents/caregivers are present? In order to prevent falls while visiting the hospital, we ask that you pay attention to the following items below to keep your child safe:
If your child is between 3 and 7 years old
- Your child should wear proper clothing and footwear.
- Wear skid proof socks.
- Avoid clothing that could get caught on objects or drag on the floor.
- If your child is connected to medical equipment, walk with him when he is out of bed.
- Ensure that all tubing, drains, probes and wires are not dragging on the floor.
- Please do not allow your child to ride on the IV pole.
- Be aware your child may be unsteady on his feet due to:
- Following surgery
- Keep side rails up at all times when you are not at the bedside.
- Day beds are for parents/caregivers/family members use only.
- Be aware patient’s room environment is different from home:
- Taller furniture
- Harder floors
- Movable equipment
- While holding your child, if you become sleepy, please place your child back in his sleep surface.
- Buckle the lap belt when your child is in a wheelchair.
- Do not allow your child to run or to climb on objects in his room.
- Keep your child’s room from becoming overcrowded with personal items.
We want to make sure your child is in the safest environment possible and we look forward to partnering with you during this hospital stay.
Revised: March 2018