The Sleep Center at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is actively engaged in research dedicated to better understanding and treating sleep problems in children.
Sleep Center physicians and researchers are conducting research projects with a focus on:
- The pathophysiology of childhood obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and the best management of the condition
- Central nervous system complications of OSA in children
- Obstructive sleep apnea in children with craniofacial disorders
- Sleep problems in infants and toddlers with a focus on assessment and behavioral treatment, including telehealth services
- Cross-cultural sleep behaviors
- The relationship between sleep and other disorders, including obesity and diabetes, chronic pain
- Pediatric narcolepsy
The Sleep Center is also involved with several NIH-funded randomized controlled trials, including a trial of nasal steroids for the treatment of OSA and a multicenter trial of adenotonsillectomy for snoring.
Sleep Medicine Research and Publications
Obstructive sleep apnea research
- Schwab RJ, Kim C, Bagchi S, Keenan BT, Comyn FL, Wang S, Tapia IE, Huang S, Traylor J, Torigian DA, Bradford RM, Marcus CL. Understanding the Anatomic Basis for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome in Adolescents. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015.
- Huang J, Pinto SJ, Yuan H, Katz ES, Karamessinis LR, Bradford RM, Gallagher PR, Hannigan JT, Nixon T, Ward MB, Lee YN, Marcus CL. Upper airway collapsibility and genioglossus activity in adolescents during sleep. Sleep 2012;35(10):1345-1352.
- Marcus CL, Radcliffe J, Konstantinopoulou S, Beck SE, Cornaglia MA, Traylor J, DiFeo N, Karamessinis LR, Gallagher PR, Meltzer LJ. Effects of positive airway pressure therapy on neurobehavioral outcomes in children with obstructive sleep apnea. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012;185(9):998-1003.
- Marcus CL, Moore RH, Rosen CL, Giordani B, Garetz SL, Taylor HG, Mitchell RB, Amin R, Katz ES, Arens R, Paruthi S, Muzumdar H, Gozal D, Thomas NH, Ware J, Beebe D, Snyder K, Elden L, Sprecher RC, Willging P, Jones D, Bent JP, Hoban T, Chervin RD, Ellenberg SS, Redline S; Childhood Adenotonsillectomy Trial(CHAT). A randomized trial of adenotonsillectomy for childhood sleep apnea. N Engl J Med 2013;368(25):2366-2376.
Central nervous system complications of obstructive sleep apnea
- Busch DR, Lynch JM, Winters ME, McCarthy AL, Newland JJ, Ko T, Cornaglia MA, Radcliffe J, McDonough JM, Samuel J, Matthews E, Xiao R, Yodh AG, Marcus CL, Licht DJ, Tapia IE. Cerebral Blood Flow Response to Hypercapnia in Children with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome. SLEEP 2015, In press.
- Tapia IE, McDonough JM, Huang J, Marcus CL, Gallagher PR, Shults J, Davenport PW. Respiratory Cortical Processing to Inspiratory Resistances during Wakefulness in Children with the Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome. Journal of Applied Physiology 118(4): 400-7, February 2015.
- Huang J, Marcus CL, Davenport PW, Colrain IM, Gallagher PR, Tapia IE. Respiratory and Auditory Cortical Processing in Children with the Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 188(7): 852, August 2013.
Obstructive sleep apnea in children with craniofacial disorders
- Cielo C, Silvestre J, Paliga J, Maguire M, Gallagher P, Marcus C, Taylor J. Utility of screening for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in children with craniofacial disorders. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2014, 134(3):434e-41e.
- Goldstein JA, Chung C, Paliga JT, Cielo C, Marcus CL, Lioy J, Bartlett S, Taylor JA. Mandibular distraction osteogenesis for the treatment of neonatal tongue-based airway obstruction. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 2015;26: 634-41.
- Cielo C and Marcus CL. Obstructive sleep apnea in children with craniofacial syndromes. Pediatric Respiratory Reviews 2015, 16:189-196.
Sleep problems in young children
- Mindell JA, Sadeh A, Kwon R, Goh DY. Relationship between child and maternal sleep: A developmental and cross-cultural comparison in young children. J Pediatr Psychol. 2015 Aug;40(7):689-96.
- Mindell JA, Li AM, Sadeh A, Kwon R, Goh DY. Bedtime routines for young children: A dose-dependent association with sleep outcomes. Sleep. 2015 May 1;38(5):717-22.
- Meltzer LJ and Mindell, JA. Systematic review and meta-analysis of behavioral interventions for pediatric insomnia. J Pediatr Psychol. 2014 Sep;39(8):932-48.
- Mindell JA, Leichman ES, Puzino K, Walters R, Bhullar B. Parental concerns about infant and toddler sleep assessed by a mobile app. Behav Sleep Med. 2015;13(5):359-74.
Relationship between sleep and other disorders
- Kelly A, Dougherty S, Cucchiara A, Marcus CL, Brooks LJ. Catecholamines, adiponectin, and insulin resistance as measured by HOMA in children with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep 2010;33:1185-1191.
- Koren D, Katz LL, Brar PC, Gallagher PR, Berkowitz RI, Brooks LJ. Sleep architecture and glucose and insulin homeostasis in obese adolescents. Diabetes Care 2011;34:1–6.
- Boyne K, Sherry DD, Gallagher PR, Olsen M, Brooks LJ. Accuracy of computer algorithms and the human eye in scoring actigraphy. Sleep and Breathing, 2013;17(1):411-417
- Olsen MN, Sherry DD, Boyne K, McCue R, Gallagher PR, Brooks LJ. Relationship Between Sleep and Pain in Adolescents with Juvenile Primary Fibromyalgia Syndrome. Sleep 2013;36(4):509-516.
- Katz LEL, Gralewski KA, Abrams P, Brar PC, Gallagher PR, Lipman TH, Brooks LJ, Koren D. Insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 are related to cardiovascular disease biomarkers in obese adolescents. Pediatric Diabetes 2014. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12242
- Brooks LJ, Olsen MN, Bacevice AM, Beebe A, Konstantinopoulou S, Taylor HG. Relationship between sleep, sleep apnea, and neuropsychological function in children with Down syndrome. Sleep and Breathing 2015;19:197-204