Fall applications now closed
Please see information below if you are interested in applying for the Winter session, January through April.
Are you a college, university, or trade school student interested in volunteering?
Wawa Volunteer Services at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is launching a collegiate program for students aged 18+ who want to give their time but also need to juggle the demands of everyday life and school obligations.
This is a unique, hands-on volunteer role that requires teamwork, flexibility, and a positive “can-do” attitude as you provide assistance to patients, families and staff on a number of our inpatient units.
Volunteers in the Collegiate Program will work individually or as part of a team to engage with CHOP patients in a variety of enriching activities, such as art, reading and games. Volunteers in this role will need to be comfortable working directly with children of all ages with a variety of different health, developmental and/or behavioral challenges.
In addition to facilitating patient play and activities, volunteers will be asked to provide tasks such as:
- Helping patients and families upon discharge
- Cleaning toys in common playroom areas
- Aiding in “comfort rounds” to provide assistance as appropriate
What makes this program different from our other volunteer programs?
Wawa Volunteer Services is committed to providing well-trained volunteers who can help support CHOP staff in our mission of providing excellent patient care in a warm, family-focused environment. We also recognize that volunteers provide an invaluable service to CHOP and, in turn, this program aims to provide meaningful and enriching opportunities to help foster emotional, intellectual, and professional growth and enhance their work readiness during this period of higher learning.
Collegiate Volunteers can schedule shifts that work with their ever-changing schedules and work toward various incentives as they progress through the program.
Collegiate Programming schedule
Winter Session: January 6, 2018 – May 4, 2018
Application will open October 1 and will close October 26 or when the first 150 applications have been received, whichever occurs first.
Mandatory orientation dates/times
- TBD, 2018 - 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- TBD, 2018 - 4:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Must be a college, trade school, or university student
- Must be able to move between hospital units as needed
- Must be able to dedicate 50 hours of volunteer service within the 17 week time period of the program, with no more than 12 hours in any given week (volunteers can decide to continue on to next level of the Collegiate Program if willing/able after 50 hours has been completed)
- Must be able to provide child safety clearances (within one year of current date) with signed waiver
- Must have all required immunizations
- Attendance of one mandatory Patient Care Orientation
Sunday - Saturday
- 9 a.m. - noon
- Noon - 3 p.m.
- 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.