Pediatric Solid Tumor Program
The solid tumor treatment group provides outstanding care for children with cancer by combining the expertise of specialists in related disciplines with an intensely collaborative treatment approach. It's one of the few pediatric cancer programs in the country with a team dedicated to solid tumors. Families benefit from having experts for every type of solid tumor developing a treatment plan that is specific to each child.
Our specialists include:
- Medical oncologists who are well-versed in the most current data and aware of the most recent innovations
- Expert pediatric surgeons with a extensive experience in all types of pediatric cancers
- Radiation oncologists with cutting-edge technology and extensive experience
Our practice approach
A core group of six attending pediatric oncologists teams with fellows and oncology nurse practitioners to treat children with solid tumors (including newly diagnosed neuroblastoma).
The core group develops comprehensive treatment plans and is supported by an additional four attending oncologists who join them in treating patients with solid tumors on the inpatient service.
Patients who receive solid tumor treatment at CHOP typically see members of the core group each time so they can build a relationship with their caregivers and their caregivers can get to know them well.
In addition to the individual attention patients receive from their primary oncologists, they benefit from the collective expertise of the entire solid tumor treatment group. The full treatment group remains actively involved in the oversight of every patient's care, discussing patients' needs and treatment on a regular basis:
- Each week, the team of physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, case manager, outpatient schedule and clinical research assistants reviews the list of patients currently on therapy. They make plans for the upcoming week and month and troubleshoot all patient care issues.
- At the time of diagnosis and at key decision points, the team discusses patients in a formal multidisciplinary solid tumor conference and the entire group provides extensive input to help the primary oncologists reach their decisions.
Surgical oncology options for solid tumors
Surgery often plays a critical role in your child’s overall cancer treatment. At CHOP our pediatric surgical oncology team consists of experts with extensive experience in various types of cancers, including neuroblastoma, brain and bone tumors, as well as other rare and hard-to-treat cancers. Learn more about the unique partnership between oncologists and surgeons at CHOP in the video below.
This video explores the full experience of bringing a child with cancer to CHOP for his surgery. During this difficult time, CHOP's surgical oncology team is here to provide second opinons on your chlid's cancer treatment options, help your family make decisions about your child's care, and work closely with referring physicians before, during and after surgery. Navigate through the video chapters by scrolling the list of titles.
VIDEO APPEARS HERE
Areas of research focus for the solid tumor treatment group include:
- Clinical trials of agents for patients whose cancers don't respond to initial or established treatments
- Clinical trials of new anti-cancer drugs
- Novel treatments that have not previously been administered to children
See all clinical trials available at the Cancer Center.
To make an appointment or to request a second opinion consultation at the Cancer Center, please call 215-590-2810.
Learn more about second opinions at the Cancer Center
Meet Our Team
Solid tumor physician team
Oncologists who treat patients with solid tumors while in the hospital
Surgical oncology - ENT
Surgical oncology - General
- N. Scott Adzick MD, MMM, FAAP, FACS
- Thane Blinman MD
- Joy Collins MD, FAAP
- Edward Doolin MD, FAAP, FACS
- Alan Flake MD, FACS, FAAP
- Holly Hedrick MD, FAAP, FACS
- Pablo Laje MD
- Peter Mattei MD, FAAP, FACS
- Michael Nance MD, FAAP, FACS
Surgical oncology - Liver
Surgical oncology - Neurosurgery
Surgical oncology - Oral-maxillofacial
Surgical oncology - Urological
Existing patients or family members, please call
To schedule an initial appointment or request a 2nd opinion
A New Way to Deliver Radiotherapy
John Maris, MD, speaks on the benefits and future potential of treating childhood tumors with proton therapy. Watch the video »
Pediatric Thyroid Cancer
The Pediatric Thyroid Center at CHOP is one of the few centers in the nation dedicated to the unique medical needs of children with thyroid disease, including thyroid cancer. Watch this video to learn more »