Magnetoencephalography (MEG) at the nation’s top children’s hospital
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is the only pediatric institution in the country with two MEG machines.
Medically refractory epilepsy is among many devastating illnesses where surgical resection can be highly beneficial, if not curative. When brain surgery is considered, accurate determination of whether surgery may be effective is crucial to patient counseling.
An expert team at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia offers highly accurate MEG evaluations for adult and pediatric patients with epilepsy, brain tumors, arteriovenous malformations, and other brain conditions that may benefit from accurate pre-operative functional evaluation.
Advantages of MEG
- Non-invasive: MEG provides a completely non-invasive way to identify locations where seizures arise, and their relationships to eloquent functional cortex.
- Sensitive and Accurate: Through the detection of the tiny magnetic fields generated by brain activity, and showing where that occurs in the brain (with superimposition on MRI) patients may be appropriately selected for surgical resection.
- Safe: Patients are not exposed to radiation.
Advantages of MEG at CHOP
- Expertise: Our Neuroradiologists are all board certified with special expertise in adult and pediatric Neuroradiology, and have years of experience with MEG. All exams are read in conjunction with a PhD who specializes in MEG. Our team is one of the largest in the country.
- Care: Specially trained MEG technologists work with patients through the entire process, beginning with scheduling the MEG and assisting with insurance pre-certification, performing a pre-MEG assessment, communicating with patients throughout the exam, and accompanying the patient to the localization MRI (acquired after the MEG). A team of expert health care providers is also available for MEG under anesthesia, as needed.
- Volume: CHOP is already one of highest volume MEG centers in the world, and a new second MEG machine allows us to accommodate even more patients.
We hope you will consider referring your adult and pediatric patients to the CHOP Lurie Family Foundation's MEG Imaging Center. For more information, please call (267) 426-7926 or (267) 426-7927. We look forward to helping you help your patients.