ED Pathway for Evaluation/Treatment of Children with Behavioral Health Issues
Inpatient Psychiatric Admission, 201/302
The Social Worker will perform the following tasks working with the ED team caring for the patient.
Steps of the Process
Identify patient's insurance information
- Name of insurance
- I.D. number
- Name, social security # and DOB of insured
- If a patient is uninsured, it will be necessary to access 'County Funding' from the patient's county of residence. See attached list of insurance information for details.
- Contact patient's insurance provider, present patient demographics and relevant clinical information (utilize the psychiatric evaluation as a guide when presenting)
- Obtain number of days approved and name of person who authorized the approval
- Obtain names of psychiatric facilities patient's insurance covers
- Select insurance companies will give the authorization for transportation at time of pre-certification. Social worker may need to obtain authorization for others.
Conduct bed search
- Inform patient and family of placement options and determine their preferences. Attempts should be made to place patient with a preferred provider
- Contact providers to identify available bed space
- Present clinical and pre-certification information to the provider. Generally, the provider will need to review the case and call you back with acceptance or rejection of patient
- Once patient is accepted to a facility, inform the patient and family. Inform family that patient must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for admission
- Note progress regarding transfer in patient's chart
- Entire copy of chart must be transferred to receiving facility with patient
- Psychiatric team is responsible for completing 201/302
- 201 Voluntary consent for admission signed by the parent/guardian
Adolescents ≥ 14yrs can sign the 201; if they are not willing, the parent can sign
- 302Involuntary commitment, must be filled out by 2 physicians – ED Attending and Psychiatrist
302 petitions must be called into the Philadelphia Office of Mental Health at 215-685-6440
- Original 201/302 must go to facility with patient. Maintain a copy for CHOP record
- Contact CHOP Transport Team (42160)
- Provide the following: patient name, DOB, name of insurance, diagnosis, name of receiving facility and name of accepting physician
- Interfacility transfer form to be filled out by ED Attending and nurse or social worker
- Contact accepting facility with ETA. Confirm that parent/guardian will accompany patient
Maintain full communication with ED/unit staff, Transport, Security, family and patient until patient has departed.
CHOP TAX I.D. # (23-1352166)
TRANSPORT # ext. 42160