Vascular Access Clinical Pathway — Emergency Department
Midline Catheter Guidelines
Routine placement of midline catheters is limited to patients in the Cardiac Center, Emergency Department, and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. For other patient populations, please contact Vascular Access Service for alternative options.
- IV fluids and medications for > 3 days but < 30 days
- Repeated blood draws (3 Fr and 4 Fr catheters only)
- History of difficult vascular access
- Patients of all ASA physical status
- High-concentration inotropes or electrolytes
- Burns, infection, contractures, wounds, thrombus in extremity, or compromised blood flow to insertion extremity
- Patients with end-stage renal disease for the purpose of vessel preservation
Note: A midline catheter is not a substitute for patients who meet criteria for central venous catheter placement.