Published onVaccine Update for Healthcare Providers
A great collection of four-minute videos and web-based training programs
The Vaccine Administration Resource Library on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website provides you with an extensive collection of brief videos (approximately four minutes in length) on a wide variety of vaccine administration topics. In addition, the site offers two web-based courses to help you train staff about proper techniques for administering vaccines. Links to all the videos and both web-based training programs are listed below.
The videos are listed in the order of those most frequently viewed on CDC’s website (highest counts at the top). Start at the beginning and work your way down, or pick your topic(s) of choice!
- How to Identify Intramuscular (IM) Injection Sites – (40,476 views)
- How to Identify Subcutaneous (SC or Subcut) Injections Sites (4,155 views)
- How to Select Equipment Needed to Prepare an Intramuscular (IM) Injection (Children Birth through 18 Years of Age) (3,984 views)
- How to Administer a Subcutaneous (SC or Subcut) Injection (3,266 views)
- Supplies Needed to Prepare an Intramuscular (IM) Injection (Adults 19 Years of Age and Older) (2,711)
- How to Prepare Vaccine from a Multidose Vial (2,642 views)
- Recommendations for Comfort and Restraint Techniques for Children of Various Ages (2,070 views)
- How to Administer Live, Attenuated Influenza Vaccine (LAIV, FluMist) (2,004 views)
- How to Prepare Vaccine from a Single-Dose Vial (1,972 views)
- How to Reconstitute Lyophilized (Freeze-dried) Vaccine (1,746 views)
- How to Administer Rotarix® (RV1) Rotavirus Vaccine (1,356 views)
- How to Assemble a Manufacturer-filled Syringe (1,005 views)
- How to Administer RotaTeq® (RV5) Rotavirus Vaccine (977 views)
- How to Accurately Document Vaccinations After Administration as Required by the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act (922 views)
- How to Calculate a Vaccine’s beyond Use Date (BUD) (840 views)
- How to Determine When a Vaccine or Diluent Expires (602 views)
- How to Select Supplies Needed to Prepare Subcutaneous (SC or Subcut) Injections (335 views)
Web-based training courses
- Vaccine Administration e-Learn — Just scroll down the page to Vaccine Administration and click on the link to access the self-paced course that provides comprehensive training using videos, job aids and other resources.
- You Call the Shots — An interactive, web-based immunization training course that includes the latest guidelines and recommendations in vaccine practice.
Additional resources available on vaccine administration
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- General Best Practices Guidelines for Immunization: Vaccine Administration section
- Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (“The Pink Book”): Vaccine Administration chapter
Immunization Action Coalition
- Staff Education Materials on Administering Vaccines web page — 22 free, CDC-reviewed, ready-to-print educational materials for healthcare clinic staff
- Clinic Tools: Administering Vaccines web section — assorted IAC educational resources, as well as links to vaccine administration resources from several other organizations
- DVD for purchase (28 min): Immunization Techniques: Best Practices with Infants, Children, and Adults
California Department of Public Health Immunization Program
Materials in this section are updated as new information and vaccines become available. The Vaccine Education Center staff regularly reviews materials for accuracy.
You should not consider the information in this site to be specific, professional medical advice for your personal health or for your family's personal health. You should not use it to replace any relationship with a physician or other qualified healthcare professional. For medical concerns, including decisions about vaccinations, medications and other treatments, you should always consult your physician or, in serious cases, seek immediate assistance from emergency personnel.