Published onVaccine Update for Healthcare Providers
Vaccinating Adults: A Step-by-Step Guide — available for purchase or free download
This completely updated guide on adult immunization (originally published in 2004) provides easy-to-use, practical information covering important “how to” activities to help you enhance your existing adult immunization services or introduce them into any clinical setting, including:
- Setting up for vaccination services
- Storing and handling vaccines
- Deciding which people should receive which vaccines
- Administering vaccines
- Documenting vaccinations (including legal issues)
- Understanding financial considerations and billing information
In addition, the Guide is filled with hundreds of web addresses and references to help you stay up to date on the latest immunization information, both now and in the future.
Two options are available to obtain a copy of the updated Guide:
- Purchase a copy. A limited number of printed editions of this 142-page book are available for purchase at www.immunize.org/shop. The Guide’s lay-flat binding and 10 tabbed sections make it easy to locate the information being sought. Purchased copies are delivered in a box that includes Immunization Techniques: Best Practices with Infants, Children, and Adults, a 25-minute training DVD developed by the California Department of Public Health. Also included are several selected IAC print materials, such as the Skills Checklist for Vaccine Administration, an assessment tool to assist in evaluating the skill level of staff who administer vaccines.
- Download it free and print it yourself. The entire Guide is available to download/print free of charge at www.immunize.org/guide. The downloaded version is suitable for double-sided printing. Options are available online to download the entire book or selected chapters.
The development of the Guide was supported by the National Vaccine Program Office (NVPO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Expert staff from both agencies also provided early technical review of the content.
The Guide is a uniquely valuable resource to assist you in increasing adult immunization rates. Be sure to get your copy today!
- Purchase the Guide at IAC Shop
- Free download of entire Guide (10.6 MB PDF)
- View the Table of Contents and Individual chapters:
- Table of Contents
- Step 1: Getting Started
- Step 2: Setting Up for Vaccination Services
- Step 3: Vaccine Storage and Handling
- Step 4: Deciding Whom to Vaccinate
- Step 5: Administering Vaccines
- Step 6: Documentation and Related Issues
- Step 7A: Financial Considerations
- Step 7B: How to Bill for Adult Immunizations
- One-page promotional flyer highlighting the Guide’s content
- IAC’s Educational Materials on Adult Immunization
Materials in this section are updated as new information and vaccines become available. The Vaccine Education Center staff regularly reviews materials for accuracy.
You should not consider the information in this site to be specific, professional medical advice for your personal health or for your family's personal health. You should not use it to replace any relationship with a physician or other qualified healthcare professional. For medical concerns, including decisions about vaccinations, medications and other treatments, you should always consult your physician or, in serious cases, seek immediate assistance from emergency personnel.