Just because your child has become a teenager does not mean she/he needs medical care any less frequently than when she/he was younger. Adolescent Medicine at the Karabots Pediatric Care Center consists of doctors and nurse practitioners that specialize in adolescent health and the focus is on the total health of our adolescent and young adult patients.
Primary care services
- Annual physical exams
- Pre-participation sports physical exams
- School and college physical exams
- Management of chronic illness
- Sick visits
- Reproductive healthcare
- Monitoring of growth and pubertal development
- Work permit completion
- Driver’s permit completion
Mental and emotional health services
In addition to helping your teen with medical concerns, our providers will spend part of each visit discussing social and emotional issues that may affect your child’s well-being. Social workers are on site to assist with any mental health care referrals or urgent needs that your teen may have.
Topics often discussed at visits are:
- Supporting strength and resilience
- Screening and treatment for mental health disorders
- School and job preparation and achievement
- Coping with stress
- Sexuality and sexual health
- Substance use and abuse
- Building healthy relationships
- Building independence
- Successful transition to adulthood
Confidential family planning services
Free and confidential family planning services via Title X funding is available to patients ages 13-25.
- Pregnancy testing and options counseling
- Contraception, including emergency contraception
- Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- Sexual health education
Adolescent Medicine at Karabots Pediatric Care Center also has a gynecologist available to examine and treat teens and young adults twice per month.
Types of problems typically referred to our gynecologist are:
- Structural genital issues
- Complicated hormonal disturbances
- Complicated menstrual irregularities
- Surgical gynecological issues
There are appointments set aside every day for urgent visits if your teen becomes ill or Hasan emergent problem. Nurses, nurse practitioners and doctors are available throughout the day to answer questions relating to your teen’s care.