Gender and Sexuality Development Clinic
The Gender and Sexuality Development Clinic (GSD Clinic) offers psychosocial and medical support for gender variant, gender expansive and transgender children and youth up to age 21 and their families. Our multidisciplinary team, led by Nadia L. Dowshen, MD, and Linda Hawkins, PhD, MSEd, LPC, includes specialists in gender identity development from Social Work and Family Services, Adolescent Medicine, Endocrinology, and Behavioral Health. We work with your family to best meet the needs of your child or youth who is transgender, gender-variant or gender-nonconforming. We also provide consultation and training for providers and organizations interested in learning how to better serve the needs of gender-variant youth.
Linda Hawkins, PhD, MSEd, LPC, Co-director of the Gender and Sexuality Development Clinic at CHOP provides advice for parents of children who indicate a transgender or gender expansive identity.
How we can Help
The Gender Clinic offers a variety of services based on individual and family needs. Our services include:
- Comprehensive gender assessment
- Gender affirming medical care
- Monthly support groups
- Insurance advocacy
- Legal support
- Lending library for parents, children and adolescents
- Connections to local stylists and salon owners who are LGBTQ friendly
- School, church, community, and healthcare provider trainings
- Referrals for ongoing outpatient therapy and/or psychiatric treatment