Healthier Together Initiative
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) has long understood that a child's health is greatly influenced by factors that go beyond medical care.
Up to 80% of a child's health and well-being is linked to behaviors (like exercise, diet and smoking), socioeconomic factors (income and education) and environmental factors (housing and community safety). Collectively, these are called social determinants of health.
Healthier Together, launched in 2019, is CHOP's initiative to tackle social determinants of health as a path to improving the health of children. We know we can't do this work alone — Healthier Together partners with community groups, nonprofits and government agencies to learn from each other and multiply the impact of the work. Learn more about our current programs and partners.
A Commitment to Our Community
- Community Investment
- Home Repair
- Food Delivery
- Trauma Support
invested in the community since Healthier Together launched in 2019.
received free asthma-related repairs by the Community Asthma Prevention Program Plus (CAPP+)
healthy meals delivered to families
total participants enrolled in trauma support services
Our Areas of Community Focus
Our Guiding Principles
Healthier Together's approach and investments are guided by five principles:
- • West/Southwest Philadelphia focused — Concentrate efforts in three zip codes in West and Southwest Philadelphia (19104, 19139, 19143)
- • Improving health — Evidence-based programs with a proven record of reducing health disparities and improving child health by addressing social determinants
- • Community informed — Partner with residents and community organizations, including participation in oversight/governance meetings, and outreach for program development
- • Collaborating with partners — Join forces with equally committed partners; use data and metrics to improve programs and measure success, and identify ongoing funding opportunities
- • Growing the local economy — Purchase goods and services from local companies that value a diverse workforce and provide meaningful work opportunities to underrepresented members of our community
Healthier Together: Who We Are
CHOP's Healthier Together initiative addresses nonmedical conditions in West Philadelphia to improve child health.