Please complete the Healthy Weight welcome packet before you schedule your child’s first visit. You can download a copy or contact our office by phone (267-426-2782) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to have the packet emailed, faxed or mailed to your home.
In addition to completing the packet, we will also ask for some clinical information from your child’s primary care provider. This information may include copies of growth charts, recent lab work, and other clinical notes that will help our providers develop a care plan and goals that work for you and your family.
Prepare for your first visit
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to allow time for registration and assessment. Your appointment may last between one to two hours.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- If your child has any of the following, please bring:
- A list of your child’s medications
- If your child has asthma, bring the medication (albuterol/rescue inhaler)
- A copy of any IEP for school, family service plan and/or legal custody document
- Your child may be assessed by the physical activity specialist, and should wear sneakers and clothing appropriate for exercise
- Please be sure you have a referral for your appointment at the Healthy Weight Clinic, if required by your insurance plan.
- Your child’s current insurance card
If you need to cancel your appointment, please provide at least 72 hours’ notice. Another family will be grateful for your time. Please be aware that if you arrive late for your visit or without required paper work, your appointment may be rescheduled.
Referrals and financial information
If your insurance plan requires referrals from your pediatrician (your child's primary doctor), please be sure to get one before your visit. Please check with your insurance company about the benefits that are provided for your visit and testing at the Healthy Weight Clinic at CHOP.
You should also ask your insurance provider about what co-pays or deductibles you will owe at the time of your visit. You may be responsible to pay a co-pay or deductible for both your visit with the physician or nurse practitioner, and testing or treatment your child receives.
For more information about your financial responsibilities, an explanation of any bills you will receive, and a list of resources available to you if you have questions about health insurance or billing, please refer to Billing and Insurance.
What to expect at the clinic
Your first appointment will be with a medical provider (either the physician or a nurse practitioner with the physician). By the third appointment, you will have met the rest of the team, and we will discuss options for your child’s plan of care. The plan will help your child meet long-term weight management goals.
We'll work with you to plan follow-up appointments that will meet the goals of your child and family. Most families follow up every two to four weeks or have at least six visits within a year. Children or teenagers with complicated medical issues or who need to lose a significant amount of weight may need more frequent follow-up.
You may see providers in some specialties — such as physical activity, psychology or social work — more often, based on the needs of your child.
Our team may also be able to help connect you with services at your primary care practice to support your family’s healthy behavior changes between visits to our program. CHOP Care Network families can take advantage of care assist tools and educators in the Care Network’s primary care practices.
Directions and parking
Free parking is available. The entrance to the parking lot is located just south of the intersection of 34th and Market Streets.
- If you are traveling west on Market St. (headed toward West Philadelphia) you will turn left on 34th Street and then turn right into the parking lot.
- If you are traveling east on Market St. (heading toward Center City Philadelphia) you will turn right on 34th Street and then turn right into the parking lot.