Homeless Health Initiative Fun Friday Art Volunteer
People’s Emergency Center (PEC) Gloria’s Place, 3902 Spring Garden Street
The Homeless Health Initiative (HHI) is a volunteer health outreach program that provides free healthcare and health-related services to families living in local emergency housing shelters. Dedicated volunteers from HHI offer free, high-quality medical and dental care, health education, and other services to shelter residents in the Philadelphia area.
Fun Friday Art is a therapeutic weekly art program where mothers in shelters find joy, healing, creativity, skills, empowerment and entrepreneurship through classes in art, crafts, jewelry, knitting and, in the future, sewing. Please let us know if you have a specific talent you would like to share, but no experience is necessary.
In this role, HHI volunteers are expected to assist Fun Friday Art group leaders to facilitate programming activities by:
- Gathering necessary supplies for projects
- Assisting with cleanup
- Helping participants complete projects when necessary
- Attending art shows and assisting mothers in selling their artwork, if available
- Attending art advisory council meetings to brainstorm activities, if available
Prior to your first volunteer shift, all volunteers need to:
- Submit a copy of their report of criminal history from the PA State Police
- Submit a copy of their child abuse clearance from the Department of Human Services
- Submit a copy of immunization records
- Complete a one-hour HHI orientation and training
Prospective volunteers can email Melissa Johnson at BERRIOSM@email.chop.edu for instructions on how to submit your clearances and immunization records and to schedule your training.
All volunteers are encouraged to familiarize themselves with their desired site in advance of applying. This ensures they are comfortable with the geographic location and distance, public transportation and/or parking availability, and accessibility of the location before selecting their desired choice.
People’s Emergency Center (PEC) Gloria’s Place
Fridays, 10 a.m. – noon