Homeless Health Initiative Kids Art Program Volunteer
People’s Emergency Center (PEC) Gloria’s Place, 3902 Spring Garden Street
The Homeless Health Initiative (HHI) is a volunteer health outreach program that provides free healthcare and health-related services to families living in local emergency housing shelters. Dedicated volunteers from the HHI offer free, high-quality medical and dental care, health education, and other services to shelter residents in the Philadelphia area.
Kids Art Program is a therapeutic weekly program where children in shelter find joy, healing, creativity, problem solving skills, empowerment and team work through classes in art and crafts. Please let us know if you have a specific talent you would like to share; however, no experience is necessary.
In this role, HHI volunteers are expected to assist the Kids Art Program group leaders to facilitate programming activities by:
- Gathering necessary supplies for projects
- Assisting with cleanup
- Helping participants complete projects when necessary
- Planning and implementing field trips
- Hands-on participation
- Assisting participants with explanation of project and guidance
Prior to your first volunteer shift, all volunteers need to:
- Submit a copy of their report of criminal history from the PA State Police
- Submit a copy of their child abuse clearance from the Department of Human Services
- Submit a copy of immunization records
- Complete a one-hour HHI orientation and training
Prospective volunteers can email Melissa Johnson at BERRIOSM@email.chop.edu for instructions on how to submit your clearances and immunization records and to schedule your training.
All volunteers are encouraged to familiarize themselves with their desired site in advance of applying. This ensures they are comfortable with the geographic location and distance, public transportation and/or parking availability, and accessibility of the location before selecting their desired choice.
People’s Emergency Center (PEC) Gloria’s Place
Schoolyear hours: Thursdays, 3:45 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Summer hours: Thursdays 1 – 2:30 p.m.