Homeless Health Initiative Women’s Wellness Volunteer
People’s Emergency Center (PEC) Gloria’s Place, 3902 Spring Garden Street
The Homeless Health Initiative (HHI) is a volunteer health outreach program that provides free healthcare and health-related services to families living in local emergency housing shelters. Dedicated volunteers from HHI offer free, high-quality medical and dental care, health education, and other services to shelter residents in the Philadelphia area.
Women’s Wellness (WW) is a fun educational program that promotes well-being for mothers living in shelters. Through hands-on learning, mothers are empowered to make healthy choices in their current environment and in the future, for themselves and their families.
In this role, HHI volunteers are expected to assist WW group leaders to facilitate programming activities by:
- Maintaining a safe environment for women to learn and relax
- Contributing innovative ideas for programming
- Demonstrating comfort working with women in a shelter environment
- Understanding trauma informed care practices (taught in HHI training)
- Being prepared and excited about programming
- Being flexible — sometimes we shift plans based on what the ladies need that day
- All volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of two shifts per month.
- All volunteers are encouraged to familiarize themselves with their desired site in advance of applying. This ensures they are comfortable with the geographic location and distance, public transportation and/or parking availability, and accessibility of the location before selecting their desired choice.
- All volunteers will need to complete an hourlong HHI training prior to their first shift.
People’s Emergency Center (PEC) Gloria’s Place
Wednesdays, 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.