Roberts Individualized Medical Genetics Center Resources for Professionals
The Roberts Individualized Medical Genetics Center (IMGC) supports clinicians interested in pursuing complex genetic testing for their patients who likely have a genetic cause for their presenting features.
The IMGC has genetic counselors, physicians and financial counselors on staff and available on call to help referring clinicians and families navigate the pre- and post-testing complexities of genetic testing, such as:
- Review of medical history
- Phenotype capture by physical exam and/or 3D face imaging
- Informed patient consent
- Insurance approval process
- Results review/genetic counseling when requested by the referring clinician
- Follow-up testing for additional family members, when necessary
What types of genetic testing can the IMGC assist with?
Although our primary goal is to assist with exome sequencing, the IMGC can also assist with most genetic testing:
- In-house testing: For genetic testing done in house, IMGC clinicians will work collaboratively with the Division of Genomic Diagnostics (DGD) to gather essential information useful in the analysis and interpretation of your patients’ test results.
- Send-out testing: IMGC clinicians will also be available to assist with complex send-out testing, which may require a more detailed explanation and/or patient consent and/or insurance authorizations.
How do I refer patients to the IMGC?
Once you have identified a patient for whom specific genetic testing is recommended, please inform your patient that you would like to refer them to the IMGC for further assistance. There are two scheduling alternatives based on the patient’s request and subject to insurance approval.
- Same-day: Genetic counselors and/or clinicians will try to be available for immediate consultations. This may also depend on insurance coverage.
- Scheduled visit: Appointments can be set up with an IMGC genetic counselor and physician for a later date.
If you are CHOP clinician, you can order an IMGC consult in EPIC or page the on-call genetic counselor at 14642.
External referring clinicians can initiate contact by calling 267-426-7418.