Psychology Continuing Education
Overview and goals
The Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences is committed to providing continuing education based on psychological principles, policies and guidelines related to current theory, methods and practices.
The goals of our Continuing Education program are to:
- Provide updates to best practices in pediatric psychology, behavioral pediatrics and clinical and school psychology
- Provide a forum where ethical issues and dilemmas can be discussed
- Offer a forum to receive collegial input regarding challenging cases
- Learn about the role of psychology in public health policy and the development of public health initiatives while sharing new research findings
Psychologists, trainees and other healthcare providers
All continuing education topics are intended to maintain, develop and increase conceptual and applied competencies that are relevant to psychological practice, education and science. CE programs may include content related to well-established psychological principles, or may be based on content that extends current theory, method or practice. CE programs may provide information related to ethical, legal, statutory or regulatory policies, guidelines and standards that impact psychology.
Types of activities
The program offers support for regularly scheduled series, lectures and conferences, and supports some video conferencing.
- To increase the knowledge of clinical issues relevant to children and families treated by psychologists within The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Learn ways in which a psychologist can contribute to clinical care of children and families with behavioral and developmental issues.
- Gain insight into the opportunities and challenges that can occur in practice as a pediatric or community/school psychologist functioning within a medical setting.
All Pennsylvania PhD licenses expire Nov. 30, 2019. As part of the renewal process, psychologists are required to attest that they have completed 30 CE credit hours between Dec. 1, 2017, and Nov. 30, 2019, as follows:
- 24 must be in APA category 1
- Three hours must be APA-approved ethics courses
- One hour must be an APA-approved suicide prevention course
- Two hours from an APA-approved provider on child abuse and reporting courses to satisfy Act 31 requirements
- Details can be found on the Pennsylvania Board of Psychology website
The Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists.
American Psychological Association credits all lectures one credit per hour.
Certificate of Attendance
All outside attendees will be charged a $20 certificate fee per workshop, conference or lecture series attendance.
Members of the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences will be issued certificates of attendance free of charge, upon request.
When a list of participants is submitted seeking credit, please include the e-mail address of attendees, so a PDF of the certificate can be emailed to the appropriate participant.
How to apply
The application must be submitted during the planning stages of the event. Marketing materials must be approved before any brochures or announcements are circulated regarding the event.
Requirements for application of continuing education credits
Please note all forms referenced here can be found below.
- Once a need has been identified for offering continuing education credits, please complete an application and submit it along with all program brochures and activity schedules. Note: brochure and announcement with statements of offering APA credits can’t be distributed until after approval of your submitted application.
- Complete the yearly application and submit it via email to Dawn Wanner as soon as you decide to offer CE credits. Once your application has been approved, you can move forward with your program brochure/schedule.
- Each presenter must complete the Declaration of Disclosure and the form for current materials with references. If any presenter has financial disclosures information, it must be listed on any promotional materials, brochures etc.
- Needs Assessment Surveys are required for all lectures or workshops that are part of a series. For workshops or conferences that are only being conducted once, needs assessment is not required.
- All attendees are required to have information about how to deal with complaints as part of their brochure materials.
- APA requires all learning objectives to comply with their standards. A document detailing specific language is supplied below.
- Application for APA Credit
- Declaration of Disclosure
- Form for Current Materials with References
- Needs Assessment Survey
- Sample Evaluation Forms
- Statistical Report
- Writing Behavioral Learning Objectives and Assessments
- Sign-in sheet
To carry out its mission, it is of critical importance for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to keep our patients, families and workforce safe and healthy and to support the health of our global community. In keeping with this, all workforce members, including trainees, who work in patient care buildings or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine.
Candidates other than those in positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey must attest to not using tobacco products.
In addition, CHOP will require all workforce members or trainees at any CHOP location to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Our aim is to implement the COVID-19 vaccine requirement following full federal Food and Drug Administration approval, but all individuals are strongly encouraged to get the vaccine now. Employees may request exemptions to any CHOP vaccine requirement for religious and medical reasons.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected category. CHOP is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor seeking priority referrals for protected veterans.
For questions regarding CE credits, please contact Dawn Wanner via email or call 215-590-9154.