Psychology Externship Program
Academic Year 2021-2022
The Psychology Externship Program consists of year-long or semester-long rotations across several different programs at CHOP. Externs may participate in a variety of supervised activities including assessment, consultation, and evidenced based interventions for patients with various pediatric medical and mental health conditions. Activities may also include working with parents/caregivers and participating in parent training
In addition, externs may be asked to assist with research projects and program development.
Externship students may also have the opportunity to attend educational presentations, such as lectures, grand rounds and seminars, relevant to pediatric conditions and professional development of healthcare providers. By providing such opportunities, we hope to contribute to the students’ professional growth, education and competence.
Students must be enrolled in a doctoral level psychology program and have an interest in working with children and families from culturally diverse backgrounds. Each of the Externship placements may also have additional application requirements listed in their descriptions.
How to apply
Interested individuals should send the following forms:
- Completed externship application (Word)
- Completed PENDELDOT application cover sheet
- Completed PENDELDOT Match Agreement
- Current Curriculum Vita (CV)
- Unofficial transcript
- Cover letter detailing your area/s of interest and to which externship(s) you are applying (no more than four sites)
- Two letters of reference from an academic or work supervisor
Please send applications through the PENDELDOT portal at pendeldot.apa.org. Send one set of application materials to each program you are applying to. The maximum number of programs that you may apply to within CHOP is six. New cover letters are not required for each submission, however, please indicate in your cover letter all of the programs you are applying to. Please note any hour requirements on your application. You may apply to two programs as one if the two programs combined meet your hour requirement. Letters of recommendation may come separately from your application and can be mailed directly to the programs supervisors. Letter writers should indicate which programs are being applied to in their emails.
To carry out its mission, it is of critical importance for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to keep our patients, families and workforce safe and healthy and to support the health of our global community. In keeping with this, CHOP has mandated all workforce members (including trainees) on site at any CHOP location for any portion of their time be vaccinated for COVID-19. This mandate also applies to workforce members or trainees performing work for CHOP at non-CHOP locations. The CHOP COVID-19 vaccine mandate is in alignment with applicable local, state and federal mandates. CHOP also requires all workforce members and trainees who work in patient care buildings or who provide patient care to receive an annual influenza vaccine. Employees may request exemption consideration for CHOP vaccine requirements for valid religious and medical reasons. In addition, candidates other than those in positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, must attest to not using tobacco products.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected category. CHOP is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor seeking priority referrals for protected veterans.
Deadlines and important dates
CHOP will be participating in a uniform timeline with several graduate programs and externship sites in the Greater Philadelphia Area. The following guidelines apply to all programs participating in this uniform timeline:
- Deadline for applications: Applications will not be accepted before Saturday, January 9, 2021. All applications are due by Friday, January 22, 2021 at 5pm.
- Notification for interviews: All applicants will be notified beginning Monday, January 25, 2021, whether or not they will receive an interview.
- Dates of interviews: Interviews will take place between Monday, February 1, 2021 and Friday, February 26, 2021. Offers will not be made during this time.
- Notification for placement: On Monday, March 8, 2021, interviewed candidates and their DCTs will receive emails between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. with offers, rejections, or under consideration.
- Candidates who receive offers will have a two-hour window to respond. Candidates may accept, decline, or put our offer on hold. Candidates are bound by the honor system and may only hold ONE offer (from any practicum site) at a time. Candidates must make their final decisions on the offers they are holding by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 8, 2021. This timeline is consistent with the NYNJADOT timeline to accommodate students who are participating in both systems.
All applicants selected for externship placements will be required to complete the credentialing process once an offer has been accepted. The credentialing process includes:
- Child abuse clearance
- Criminal history clearance
- Health and drug screening
- Reference check
- FBI finger printing
Students are responsible for the cost associated with the credentialing process.
All externs are considered Health Care Workers and must receive the flu vaccination each fall.
COVID-19 Statement: CHOP is committed to keeping all staff and trainees safe during the pandemic. Psychology externs will have the same level of PPE available as other members of the care team, and their patients will undergo the same screening as any other patient entering the hospital system. Although this situation continues to evolve, psychology trainees may participate in both telehealth and in person training activities as appropriate. In addition, activities such as supervision and didactics may also be done through a virtual platform. We are very excited to recruit a new class of externs for the 2021-2022 year and we will continue to update our policies as the situation changes.
Specific externship descriptions
Please see our full list of externship opportunities available for 2021-2022 for more in-depth detail about specific positions.