Psychology Externship Program
Academic Year 2019-2020
The Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Externship Program consists of year-long or semester-long rotations and may include the following supervised activities:
- Assessment and treatment of patients with various pediatric medical and mental health conditions
- Parent training
- Discharge planning/community referrals
In addition, students may be asked to assist with research projects and program development.
Externship students may also have the opportunity to attend educational presentations, such as lectures, grand rounds and seminars, relevant to pediatric conditions and professional development of healthcare providers. By providing such opportunities, we hope to contribute to the students’ professional growth, education and competence.
Students must be enrolled in a doctoral level psychology program and have an interest in working with children and families from culturally diverse backgrounds. Each of the Externship placements may also have additional application requirements listed in their descriptions.
How to apply
Interested individuals should send the following forms:
- Completed externship application (Word)
- Current Curriculum Vita (CV)
- Unofficial transcript
- Cover letter detailing your area/s of interest and to which externship(s) you are applying (no more than four sites)
- Two letters of reference from an academic or work supervisor
Please send only one set of application materials (even if you are applying to multiple programs within the CHOP system, one application is sufficient for all of the positions). The maximum number of programs that you may apply to within CHOP is four. Please note any hour requirements on your application. You may apply to two programs as one selection if the two programs combined meet your hour requirement.
Please send all application materials to email@example.com.
Deadlines and important dates
CHOP will be participating in a uniform timeline with several graduate programs and externship sites in the Greater Philadelphia Area. The following guidelines apply to all programs participating in this uniform timeline:
- Deadline for applications: Applications will not be accepted before Monday, Dec. 10, 2018. All applications are due by Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019.
- Notification for interviews: All applicants will be notified beginning Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019, whether or not they will receive an interview.
- Dates of interviews: Interviews will take place between Wednesday, Jan. 23 and Friday, March 1, 2019. Offers will not be made during this time.
- Notification for placement: On Monday, March 4, 2019, interviewed candidates and their DCTs will receive emails between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. with offers, rejections, or under consideration.
- Candidates who receive offers will have a two-hour window to respond. Candidates may accept, decline, or put our offer on hold. Candidates are bound by the honor system and may only hold ONE offer (from any practicum site) at a time. Candidates must make their final decisions on the offers they are holding by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 4, 2019. This timeline is consistent with the NYNJADOT timeline to accommodate students who are participating in both systems.
All applicants selected for externship placements will be required to complete the credentialing process once an offer has been accepted. The credentialing process includes:
- Child abuse clearance
- Criminal history clearance
- Health and drug screening
- Reference check
- FBI finger printing
Students are responsible for the cost associated with the credentialing process.
Specific externship descriptions
Please see our full list of externship opportunities available for 2019-2020 for more in-depth detail about specific positions and how to apply.