Autism Screening Clinical Pathway — Primary Care
At the Time of Diagnosis
At the time of diagnosis, it is important to complete the following:
- A careful history, including potential prenatal exposure to teratogens, family history (especially of individuals with ASD and other developmental, behavioral, and/or psychiatric, and neurologic diagnoses).
- A full physical examination, including assessment of growth relative to typical curves (including head circumference), dysmorphic features, organomegaly, skin manifestations of neurocutaneous disorders (e.g., tuberous sclerosis and neurofibromatosis), and neurologic abnormalities.
- Each child with ASD diagnosis should be offered a medical investigation for etiology (e.g., genetic testing).
- Additional referrals should be considered.
Manuals and Resources
- Refer to Early Intervention PFE Manual (under 3 yrs)
- Refer to Early Intervention or School System for Testing PFE Manual (over 3 yrs)
- Apply for Medical Assistance: (in PA, or if eligible by state)
- Consider Wraparound Services PFE Manual
- Center for Autism Research Autism Roadmap™
- AAP Toolkit
- Autism Speaks Toolkits
- Utilize Letters in Epic/PFEs