Pulmonary Hypertension Screening in Patients with Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Clinical Pathway — ICU and Inpatient
Diagnostic Criteria and Severity Grading of BPD
Diagnostic Criteria for BPD
- Gestational age at birth < 32 weeks AND
- Ongoing respiratory support at a postmenstrual age (PMA) of 36 weeks
Both criteria must be present to make a diagnosis of BPD.
Grading Severity of BPD
- If BPD diagnostic criteria are met, grade BPD severity.
- Grading BPD severity is based on:
- Mode of respiratory support administered at 36 weeks PMA.
- Irrespective of the amount of supplemental oxygen.
There are Multiple Definitions Available to Diagnose BPD
The definition used in this pathway is data-driven and linked to patient outcomes.
A comparison of the performance of this definition to others in the literature is available in the publication by Jensen et al. The Diagnosis of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia in Very Preterm Infants. An Evidence-based Approach .