** This event has been canceled.
This course is designed to provide a solid foundation in current diabetes management. Topics to be reviewed will include: treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes; self-care management principles; understanding and using diabetes technology (insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring systems) to improve outcomes; the emotional impact of diabetes diagnosis on families and developmental milestones; and how to engage with children and families living with diabetes.
- Describe current practice guidelines for treating type 1 and type 2 diabetes and optimizing health outcomes for children.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of how technology (insulin pumps, closed loop systems and continuous glucose monitoring systems) can be used to improve diabetes outcomes.
- Demonstrate familiarity with how to use diabetes technology to manage children with diabetes.
- Describe how nutrition impacts diabetes management.
- Describe the emotional impact of diabetes diagnosis on families and how to support parents and children living with diabetes.