To treat your child's asthma using a metered dose inhaler (MDI) with a spacer and a mask:
- Remove the cap form the MDI. Look inside the spacer to make sure it is empty.
- Shake the MDI four to five times
- Insert the mouthpiece of the MDI into the soft rubber ring at the open end of the spacer. Make sure the MDI is pointing upwards.
- Place the mask gently over your child's face so that his mouth and nose are covered. Be certain that there is a good seal. Your child can breathe in and out comfortably while the mask is held in place.
- Press down on the MDI canister to release the medicine into the spacer. Keep the mask on your child's face and watch her take six breaths.
- Wait one to three minutes before repeating steps 2 through 5 for the second puff.
Download these resources with step-by-step instructions and illustrations: